Saturday, June 14, 2014


A boy once told me that most women were a handgun
Or a grenade’s worth of crazy
A few casualties
Some shrapnel
Scars and PTSD
In the right light and with some timing a good story
Small enough to be concealed
In a carryon or for the first few years of marriage
A comfortable amount of baggage for boys
To test their resilience, their strength and aim

But I was an Atomic bomb
Billowing up and boiling out over the landscape
No living or dead thing was safe

Now I don’t know much about the bomb
And I was too shocked at the comparison to speak
But I remember being told that a scientist killed him self
Because he propped open his nuclear experiment with a 99cent
Screwdriver
And it slipped

I do know that creation and destruction go hand in hand
And if I could split and atom
Or create enough energy to raze a city
This atomic heart of mine could power all the lights in this city
You’d have to burry me for millennia before I my love would decay

Maybe it’s the 99cent screwdriver
You are using to force me open
That is putting you in harms way
Or maybe it’s my love being used as a weapon in the first place

1 comment:

  1. every once in a while i used to stop by to see what you might have crafted...and you didn't for quite a while...but today i wanted to see, to experience what you write.....it's been a while...and i am glad i waited.......
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete