Thursday, October 23, 2014

We used to have four legs
We were joined, whole in our togetherness
Until some petulant gods split us in two

Now our lives come down to; how do you travel home?

Odysseus traveled home for ten years
Time looming, Penelope waiting
Their bed growing, anchored in the earth
But he traveled persistently
Battling endlessly
His north of love never faltered

But sometimes I know if the connecting flight gets delayed
The Airport hotel is as good a place as any to stay a few days
So tired of trying to get home
There’s wifi here and hot water
All these sirens singing

Even my heart occasionally
After a terrible date
After another engagement photo
Beats me to rest a bit

That is not how I travel home
I know there is a north for me
My Penelope I haven’t met
My bed grows every day
My ship, or plane will be delayed
But I will travel home always

So that our four legs can truly rest

No comments:

Post a Comment