Monday, October 20, 2014

I often forget what country I’m in
What language I should be speaking
Do I drop the possession of my own body,
In deference to your sense of owner ship over it?
Is the proper greeting “I’m sorry” in the feminine?
I never learned how to ask for food in this language
So I’ve been starving in the land of men
Sucking on lollipops and catcalls
I read Lolita in the wrong language again
The language of little girls devouring themselves

Don’t rub me like a bobby pin; I am not an object of worry
or adornment
I am not rigid; my rib cage is for your protection
And when I speak the language of my body
My native beats and swells
I do not need to ask permission
All the food I find is mine
The language of my body, well fed and free
Creates armies, more bodies and new words

Everything is born in my country 

No comments:

Post a Comment